Sunday, March 20, 2016

GameBoul: Software

I am currently installing the software necessary for my Pi to play old video games. I am using RetroPie. RetroPie is a program with pre-installed emulators. It uses EmulationStation to play these emulators. Once one has RetroPie set up, they are able to download ROMs (games for the emulator) and play them directly through the program (if I'm not mistaken).

Originally, I wanted to use EmulationStation on my Pi and not RetroPie. I wanted to use it because it would allow me to just download emulators I wanted. Since RetroPie comes with 30 already installed, I was forced to download them all, which I didn't want to do (and actually didn't have to). However, I was unable to successfully install EmulationStation. I kept getting an error that said the build was incomplete. I looked on github for answers, but I was unable to resolve the issue. By the 4th failure, I tried installing RetroPie and I've gotten a lot farther.

On the website that I used as a guide, it showed me how to compile everything from source. Using this method, I was able to choose which emulators I wanted. However, this method is said to take up to 20 hours! I hope it doesn't, because I would love to show something working in class tomorrow!

Lastly, I've been thinking about what I can add to this project. I've been asking myself questions like what if I want to go on the internet, or what if I wanted to play a game that was already installed on the Pi? Well, to remedy this, I'm making my own GUI that will allow me to do more than just play games using RetroPie. My goal is to be able to play at least 3 games that are already on the Pi, browse the internet, and maybe do a little more... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment